Eczema and sensitive skin conditions affects so many people all over the world, and how it affects people's lives goes even deeper than the skin. For many women, these skin issues can influence different areas of their lives, from relationships with others, themselves, to even their jobs.
Embracing Your True Self: Empowering Strategies
Even though it feels absolutely impossible to overcome these challenges, there are ways to overcome the emotional effects of eczema and sensitive skin. Here are some empowering strategies to help women embrace their true selves:
- Put you first! Since we know flare-ups, etc can occur more often when you are stressed. Doing things you enjoy and practicing some self-care will go a long way. Do not put 'Baby' in the corner (I.e. you)!
- Find your tribe! Having people around that knows what you are going through and won't judge you and make you feel worse is key. I am plugging in my Facebook group here, I am creating a community called the Sensitive Skincare Sorority just for this exact reason.
- Focus on self-care (This is so important, I basically said this twice): Prioritize mental and physical well-being by practicing relaxation techniques, staying active, and maintaining a balanced diet. Listen to music, dance silly, take a walk, everything you do for yourself outside of adulting is self-care.
- Replace negative thoughts with positivity: Replace self-critical thoughts with positive affirmations and celebrate small victories in managing your skin condition. I get it, how are you going to be positive about a rash, but just know that is your immune system working for you (it is a bit overprotective but it isn't necessarily trying to hurt you). Step out into this world confident, the more you do it..the easier it becomes. Even if it is fake at first, you will be surprised when you realize your subconscious doesn't know the difference.
- Show Up and Show Out! Emphasize your unique qualities, skills, and talents, reminding yourself that you are more than your skin. Do all of the things. Put yourself out there! There is absolutely no one out in the world like you, no one with your talents, unique abilities, etc., you have no idea how you showing up as your true self will help another.
The impact of eczema and sensitive skin on women's lives goes beyond the physical symptoms. By understanding the emotional effects and adopting empowering strategies, women can begin to embrace their true selves and live life to the fullest. Remember, your skin doesn't define you – it's just one part of your beautiful, unique story. You're amazing..believe it and the world will have no choice but to believe it as well.